Monday, July 16, 2012

why cats aren't always awesome

So as I mentioned before. The house we bought is 27 years old and still had the original carpet inside. The people who lived there before us obviously had cats, lots and lots of cats. After taking out scraping out the carpeting and padding we could see the urine stained concrete throughout the entire house. This was obviously going to need to be cleaned. I was going to just scrub it with bleach and a scrub brush but after reading online that bleach mixed with cat urine causes a deadly toxic combo I realized that wouldn't work. I do enjoy living after all. After researching it on the almighty world wide web I found that most people can get urine stains out of concrete with just plain old household vinegar. This seemed brilliant, however after going through 3 gallons of it I could still smell the strong ammonia smell throughout the house. Well, so much for the vinegar technique... back to researching.

After talking to quite a few people Brandon and I decided to just seal the entire floor with KILZ sealer. So now the entire house has white painted concrete floors, but no ammonia smell. This is a win. We will be covering up the paint with new flooring anyways, and now we don't have to worry about the urine smell seeping up through our new flooring. *yay* So if any of y'all ever have the misfortune of having concrete that has absorbed an unhealthy amount of urine then paint it, but make sure it's a good sealer. It's really the only thing that works as far as I can tell and it's way simple when you use a paint roller on a stick. Good luck y'all.

4 comments:

  1. Ish. I hate cats. Well, I guess it's really the owners of cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that my friend is why cats are dreaded by many! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cats are pretty nasty, but I had two growing up that were super sweet and part of the family. We also always made sure they had clean litter and didn't pee anywhere else.

      Delete